Monday 15 December 2014

THE WRITING LIFE

So, another two weeks of working on my novel in a really focused way, often for quite long hours. I feel like a real, proper author, rather than someone who's masquerading as a real author and is likely to get found out at any moment!

I mentioned in my last post that I had one more decision to make about one of the characters before I could really move on and I've made that decision now, and written the necessary scene. I now have three more scenes to re-write, and out of an original 65 things on my novel 'to do 'list, there are 14 remaining, although of course, more will emerge as I continue to edit. Some of these are simply a question of going back and adding in references to something. For example, I realised that a character who smokes heavily at the start hasn't had a fag for about five chapters! I also need to fill in some location details, but that's going to require another research trip, so may have to wait until the second draft.

I can't tell you how satisfying it is to cross things off the 'to do' list. I find that making such a list really helps me to organise my thoughts, but even if you don't need to do that, it's worth making a list if just for the pleasure of crossing things off it!

So satisfying!
One of the reasons I enjoy setting part of my novels in a different time period is that I love researching a particular decade. There's a scene in this book where one of the characters is reading a copy of Woman's Realm in 1967. What better way to research that than to read a copy of Woman's Realm from 1967? I have to say, I found some of the advice on the problem page to be, well, shall we just say less than supportive of married women! These magazines make fascinating reading.

Woman's Realm, 1967
I've been slightly better at scribbling notes in my journal over this last two weeks, but still haven't got back into the habit of morning pages, something I fully intend to resume in the New Year. But I have kept some notes, and a quick flick through tells me that other writerly activities since my last post include a feedback session with a fellow writer, a coffee shop writing session with a (different) fellow writer, a boozy Christmas lunch with two (different again) fellow writers, and a signing session at WH Smith's – not for my own book, but for the Watch and Wait anthology, which I've mentioned in this blog several times. Here's a review.

As well as these more obvious writerly pursuits, I've prepared and taught my evening class, had tutorials with my MA students and read the opening chunk of a psychological thriller in readiness for preparing a critique. I love my job!

In addition to all that, I think I've made a fair dent in the Christmas shopping, and I've managed to knock up a few mince pies and nibbly things which are now in the freezer ready to be heated up later in the week when I'll have some friends round for festive drinkies. So, all in all, I'm feeling reasonably productive and pleased with myself – and it's not often you hear me say that!

I think I'm going to leave it there this time, because I'm itching to get back to my novel, which I plan to deliver on 5th of January. I've no doubt there will still be quite a lot of work to do, but although I could tweak and twiddle until the cows come home, I'm now at the stage where I need the insightful and experienced opinions of my agent and editor, who both seem to understand what I am trying to do and are able to point out how I could do it more effectively. I'm so looking forward to receiving their feedback – although it'll be a nailbiting time while I wait to hear what they think!

I usually post fortnightly, but as that takes us to just after Christmas, I'll be extending it to three weeks this time, so my next post will be on 5th January – the day I submit this draft!!

In the meantime, check out Simon & Schuster's books and the city page, where you can read features entitled My Perfect Christmas Morning by the following authors: myself, Jane Costello, Rachel Hore, Isabel Broom, Kate Long, Patricia Scanlan, and Andy Jones.

I hope you all have a fabulous time over the festive period, and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

By the way, Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas? Discuss! (My vote is for Merry!)

If you'd like to keep an eye on what I'm up to, visit my website, 'like' my Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @sewelliot


1 comment:

  1. Shh, don't tell, but I've been known to put things on a list I've already done, just for the satisfaction of crossing them off!!

    Have a great Christmas. I'm off again in the New Year - if I lose track of you, I'll catch up when I get back.

    ReplyDelete