I met both agents, and chose Kate Shaw (then of Alexander Aitken, but now of The Viney Agency) because she had ideas for the book and suggested revisions - including a major structural change - that I just knew were good.
So, I spent around seven or eight months doing these revisions, and after a bit more tinkering, we felt the novel was ready to go, and it was sent out to several major publishers. It didn't sell on that occasion, but came very close indeed, with three of the editors saying that they'd been very tempted, four wanting to see my next novel and one - oh joy - actually taking my agent and me out to lunch. This particular editor had reservations about one of the characters, and so I set to work on more revisions, more subtle this time, perhaps rather too subtle, as it would later transpire, because Kate felt I hadn't quite gone far enough with the changes. We talked about sending the book out with the new title to the smaller publishers, but then decided to put it aside for a while and concentrate on a second book.
For more about me and my work, check out my website: http://www.susanelliotwright.co.uk